Why I have opened the window!

Amerykah has turned a corner and we should all turn with it. I have thoughts ideas and suggestions but I also have patience and desire for us to be whole and one. I have been speaking a lot lately of the human condition and the generations of Black Americans. i will entertain any and all conversation as long as we can be respectful and grown up. Let the healing begin......

Monday, September 01, 2008

Tha Man Monday

Can I just say I miss the 70’s. Being born in 1972 most folks figure I don’t remember much, but I have always been an old soul. I remember my mother having parties. She and my God mother would get together with some other folks (names who can remember names, they weren’t my friends after all) and have what I called record parties. I think the only thing my mother loved more than me (maybe neck and neck) was her record collection.
Looking back it was nothing more or less spectacular than what pretty much everyone else had, but it was hers and she was proud of it. So proud of it she didn’t want me to touch it, which I never did (until I was sure she was long gone and not coming home anytime soon.) But I did take great care to make sure everything was put back just as I took it out. I loved sitting in front of that turn table and just getting lost amid the sea of record covers.
Then there was my father who I know loved his collection more than me, but to be fair it was and to my knowledge today remains a quite impressive collection. He was a little more trusting with his records than mommy, but I think it is because I showed the same care I had learned from putting her albums back undisturbed.
The music from the 70’s is a sound that you are hard pressed to find these days. Most of those cat’s are not making much music anymore and some that are trying to keep up with these “young bloods” (see how easy I slip back?)



Well today’s “Tha Man Monday” is dedicated to a man who is still managing to be contemporary and old school at the same time. Roy Ayers a funk/soul/jazz musician who made the vibraphone the hotness. Born in LA in September of 1940 (yes he is a Virgo). I asked an old head (someone older than me LOL) which he thought was Roy’s most popular song but he could not decide so I decided to list the three I thought were in the competition. In no particular order

“Running Away” from the album Lifeline,

“Coffy is the Color” from the soundtrack for 70’s cult classic “Coffy”,

and “Everybody loves the sunshine” from the album by the same name.
Well it does not matter to me which is most popular there all the hotness.
Here is one of my favorites..

No comments: