Why I have opened the window!

Amerykah has turned a corner and we should all turn with it. I have thoughts ideas and suggestions but I also have patience and desire for us to be whole and one. I have been speaking a lot lately of the human condition and the generations of Black Americans. i will entertain any and all conversation as long as we can be respectful and grown up. Let the healing begin......

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Wearing your heart on your CD




I am often astounded by any artist’s ability not to turn pain into art but to turn pain into art and know that you will have to revisit that pain over and over whenever it is called upon you to do that particular piece. Such is the case with “Telephone” from Erykah Badu’s 2008 album “New Amerykah Part 1- Fourth World War”. This is a song she wrote after the funereal of her good friend J Dilla. Before I knew the origins of the song I knew it was a story of pain and loss and while the origins of this song may in fact be sad, you have to admit after hearing it, this is a sound not heard since the 70’s and is something sorely missed.






Take a few minutes, turn the Television, lights, etc, (not the computer) and just give this song a full listen.



No comments: