Why I have opened the window!

Amerykah has turned a corner and we should all turn with it. I have thoughts ideas and suggestions but I also have patience and desire for us to be whole and one. I have been speaking a lot lately of the human condition and the generations of Black Americans. i will entertain any and all conversation as long as we can be respectful and grown up. Let the healing begin......

Monday, April 06, 2009

Removing the Gag!!!


After 18 years the gag has been removed from the media when it comes to soldiers remains returning to the states. The gag was imposed back in 1991 by George Herbert Walker Bush. His official reasoning was that he was doing it out of respect for the families of the deceased soldiers however it is believed that his true motivation was out of embarrassment. Bear with me as I work from memory but I believe that during a Presidential address back in 1991 as President Bush spoke about the Persian war while one network split screened the caskets being removed form a plane at Dover airbase.

Many feel that the ban was a way to remove the human cost from war. President Obama and Defense Secretary Robert Gates felt uncomfortable about the ban and has left it up to the families to decide if their loved ones can be photographed.

2 comments:

Wonder Man said...

that might be for the best..the families should make that decision

uglyblackjohn said...

I think people should be able to see the cost of these wars. We are a visual nation.