Why I have opened the window!

Amerykah has turned a corner and we should all turn with it. I have thoughts ideas and suggestions but I also have patience and desire for us to be whole and one. I have been speaking a lot lately of the human condition and the generations of Black Americans. i will entertain any and all conversation as long as we can be respectful and grown up. Let the healing begin......

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

National day of blogging! This legal misjudgment of Troy Davis


I have not made a huge deal of this but I have recently been admitted into the “Afro Spear” a group of openly progressive black bloggers. For more first unity blog from the group I am participating in the Day of blogging for Troy Davis.


Davis is an black man, who was convicted of the 1989 killing of a white police officer, Mark Allen McPhail. However, since his conviction, seven of the nine witnesses to the crime have recanted their testimonies, and now claim they were intimidated into making their initial statements against Davis. There is no physical evidence tying Davis to the scene. There is no murder weapon. Three witnesses now claim they overheard another man confessing to the crime.

I don’t know if Troy is guilty or innocent as I was not there when this cop was killed. I will say that there is enough doubt that perhaps we don’t need to be injecting him with anything or pushing any buttons that might electrocute him. In fact until our legal system is fixed and every defendant is treated as though they are the CEO of a fortune 500 company perhaps we need to put the death penalty on hold.

Troy has already had one stay of execution which expired on the 15th of May and Amnesty International is hard at work on his case. Please lend your support through word, or act, or just in getting the word out to others, as it seems this story is not juicy enough for the network news outlets.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is a pleasure to have you as a colleague in the AfroSpear! You hit the key points in this post. I hope that your blog readers join us in reaching out to Gov. Perdue. He appears to be the final hope for Troy Davis.

My post on this subject, Don't Kill Troy Davis, is up. Please come by and visit if you have time or inclination.

peace, Villager