Why I have opened the window!

Amerykah has turned a corner and we should all turn with it. I have thoughts ideas and suggestions but I also have patience and desire for us to be whole and one. I have been speaking a lot lately of the human condition and the generations of Black Americans. i will entertain any and all conversation as long as we can be respectful and grown up. Let the healing begin......

Monday, October 06, 2008

So I do have something in common with old Johnny McCain.


I am a child of the 80’s, and was it ever a great time to be a child. I mean yes there was Presidents Reagan and Bush (1) but that didn’t matter much to me. There were music videos and boy bands and men dressing like women making great music. One of those great music makers was El DeBarge of the DeBarge family. He like so many others from large groups stepped out on his own and didn’t do bad. One of my favorite songs from him (which years later turned into my break up song) “Turn the Page” from his second solo project “Gemini”.

I thought it was a dead on choice for when I needed to get over and move on. Well it seems that the song works for John McCain as well. Who knew? I mean honestly, if you had asked me if John McCain was a El DeBarge fan I would have said “Does he think that is one of his gardeners?”


But McCain has decided that he is going to turn the page on talking about economics. It seems it’s a sore subject with him and as he has plainly stated in the past, not his best subject.


I am not even going to get into the fact that the idea of someone running on a platform of relating to “Joe six-pack” (whoever the fuck that is) who is looking for answers and help being turned the page on.


No I am going to talk about character, I am going to speak on the hero and all I have heard about Johnny Boys days as a POW. Now I have never been in the armed service so I have nothing but respect for those who chose that route. These are some great folks. I have an ex who was a Sgt. Major in the army and for about a year I lived in an army town.

All the John McCain POW stories I have heard is how he was broken and bruised and even when the opportunity to leave came up he said “Not without my daughter!!” (Sorry old Sally Field reference.) Now you’re running for President of the United States and when the going gets tough, when the economy you claimed was so strong is collapsing around us like a forgotten temple around Indiana Jones, you want to turn the page?


Well I will tell you what. Let’s do that Senator McCain. If we can turn the page on the economy then let’s turn the page on the Iraq war. STOP!!! FINI!!!!! DONE!!!!! Bring everyone home right now. I am sure the American public is tired of our kids our parents out brothers and sisters dying to liberate a country that has asked us to Get Out like five times already. But NO, can’t do that. One year or one hundred, cause this is something you like, this is something you can get your mind and hands around.

Well Senator McCain, I can’t wait for November 4th to come. Hopefully we will be able to “Turn the page “on you. And trust me, on that day I will not be playing El Debarge in your honor!

1 comment:

Lola Gets said...

I cannot believe you conjured up the spirit(s) of Debarge for a post about John McCain - classic!

L